Make Teeth Whiter While EatingBrushing your teeth after eating is important to make teeth whiter, but eating the right foods can help make teeth whiter as well.
Foods That Help Make Teeth WhiterHere are some healthful eating tips that can help make teeth whiter:
- Chicken out and go nuts. Including chicken and other lean meats in your diet can help make teeth beautiful, because the calcium and phosphorus they contain can help to restore tooth enamel when acid from foods break it down. Not a meat eater? Peanuts can help make teeth whiter, too.
- Hit the dairy. Dairy products including milk, cheese, and yogurt contain the calcium that helps make teeth look great by keeping them healthy. But hard cheeses, such as cheddar, do even more to keep teeth clean. Hard cheese helps remove other food particles.
- Don’t forget fruits and veggies. In addition to all of their other health benefits, firm, crunchy fruits and vegetables help make teeth whiter. Apples, celery, carrots, and other fruits and vegetables that require a lot of chewing make teeth whiter by helping to stimulate saliva which helps neutralize the acid from other foods, such as tomatoes, wine, or citrus fruits. (1), (2)
Foods That Don’t Make Teeth WhiterCertain foods make teeth whiter, but other foods promote stains on teeth. You don’t need to completely avoid these foods, but you can keep your teeth strong by brushing your teeth or rinsing with water as soon as possible after eating them:
- Sugary foods, especially hard candies or lollipops that coat the teeth with sugar as you eat them
- Acidic foods, such as tomatoes or lemons (1), (2)
- Drinks that stain teeth, such as red wine, soda, coffee, and tea