Learn How to Whiten Teeth the Right WayWhitening your teeth at home is easy and effective, and you’ll get the most value from your teeth whitening products if you know how to whiten teeth the right way.
Better Technology for How to Whiten TeethIf you're wondering how to whiten teeth effectively, Crest 3D White Whitestrips that use Advanced Seal technology are a great option. This unique technology ensures that the strips stay in contact with your teeth. The Advanced Seal technology includes these features for how to whiten teeth:
- Backing: The backing layer contributes to whiter teeth by holding the strips firmly in place.
- Whitening: The whitening layer contributes to whiter teeth by delivering the whitening agent (hydrogen peroxide) to the teeth.
- Mesh: The mesh layer is part of how to whiten teeth safely—it keeps the whitening product from spreading to other areas of the mouth, where it could cause irritation.
- Release: A release liner for easy application of the Whitestrips makes it easy to whiten teeth. (3)
Tips on How to Whiten TeethKeep these tips in mind for how to whiten teeth with minimal side effects:
- Follow Directions: No matter what method you choose for how to whiten teeth, be sure to follow the directions. Some products advise against eating or drinking anything except water for a few hours after whitening.
- Don’t Overdo It: Overuse of any product designed to whiten teeth can cause problems such as tooth sensitivity or gum irritation. If you want to know how to whiten teeth without sensitivity or pain, switch to less potent products such as whitening toothpaste, mouth rinse, or Crest 3D White Whitestrips Gentle Routine.
- Try Again: If you aren’t satisfied with a teeth whitening product, think about which product might best fit how to whiten teeth into your lifestyle. For example, some whitening products require only five minutes of application per day, while others require 30 minutes.
- Minimizing Stain Exposure: If you have just whitened your teeth, try to limit your exposure to food and beverages that tend to stain teeth, such as wine or tomatoes.
- Get Help When Needed: A key tip for how to whiten teeth safely is to consult your dentist. Ask him or her for teeth whitening tips and recommendations. (1), (4)
How to Whiten Teeth by BrushingNo matter what products you choose for how to whiten teeth, using proper toothbrushing technique and whitening toothpaste can help maintain whiter teeth. Keep these toothbrushing tips in mind as you plan how to whiten teeth:
- Go Easy: Brushing your teeth too hard can cause gum irritation, and it won’t make your teeth whiter. Instead, let the particles in whitening toothpaste and the bristles of your toothbrush do the work.
- Go Slowly: The American Dental Association recommends that you spend two minutes brushing your teeth twice daily. That may not sound like much, but many people fall short. The right toothbrushing method for how to whiten teeth and reduce plaque: Divide your mouth into quadrants and count to 30 while you're brushing each area. (2)