Crest 3D White Frequently Asked Questions
Got a question about Crest 3D White? Chances are, we’ve answered it here.
- What are the benefits of using Crest 3D White Whitestrips?
- Every Crest 3D White Whitestrips teeth whitening system is guaranteed to whiten teeth by removing surface stains as well as set-in stains deep within the enamel.
- Are Crest 3D White Whitestrips harmful to teeth or can they damage the enamel?
- No, this product is formulated to be safe and effective when used as directed. All our safety data indicate that 3D White Whitestrips are safe on tooth enamel. They contain the same whitening ingredient as the professional products dentists use to whiten teeth.
- How do Crest 3D White Whitestrips work?
- Crest 3D White Whitestrips are thin, flexible strips that are coated with a tooth whitening gel containing peroxide. Designed to conform to the shape of your teeth, they work by keeping the whitening gel in place against your teeth to get at stain build-up on and below the tooth’s surface.
- When will I start to notice results with Crest 3D White Whitestrips?
- Noticeable results vary by person, but most people start seeing results halfway through the regimen, with full results upon completion. If speed is a priority, try Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid or Professional Effects to start seeing results after 3 days.
Every Crest 3D White Whitestrips teeth whitening system provides you with beautiful, visibly whiter teeth—guaranteed. If you are not satisfied with your results, Crest 3D White Whitestrips will refund your purchase. Simply return your receipt and package UPC within 60 days of purchase. Call 1-800-208-0169 for more information.
- When will I start to notice results with Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid and Professional Effects?
- With Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Seal, you will start seeing results after 3 days.
- How long will whitening last?
- The length of time your teeth will stay whiter is influenced by several factors, including how often you drink coffee, tea, dark colas, red wine or smoke. Advanced Vivid & Professional Effects keep your teeth whiter for 12 months. If you are concerned about daily staining, keep your smile look bright and white with 3D White Stain Shield for only 5 minutes a day.
- Can I wear the strips longer than the instructed wear time to get better whitening results?
- We recommend following usage instructions for each product. Longer wear time can result in tooth sensitivity and/or gum discomfort.
- How do I maintain whiter teeth?
- After completing a Crest 3D White Whitestrips teeth whitening system, you can help maintain your smile makeover with Crest 3D White Whitestrips Stain Shield which helps maintain your beautiful, white smile as they help prevent the build-up of everyday stains caused from habits that make teeth yellow and less beautiful.
- Sometimes I see white spots on my teeth immediately after I remove a strip. Will they go away?
- Yes, the white spots are temporary. These spots are not harmful and will go away in a few hours.
- Will Crest 3D White Whitestrips affect my dental work?
- CREST 3D WHITE WHITESTRIPS WILL ONLY WHITEN NATURAL TEETH. The strips will not whiten caps, crowns, veneers, fillings or dentures. Do not use with dental braces. If you are in need of dental work, have dental work or have staining from medication, ask your dentist to determine if whitening is appropriate. Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid and Professional Effects are designed to hold well to teeth, do not use on loose teeth or temporary or loose restorations.
- What is the difference between Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid & Professional Effects and other Crest 3D White Whitestrips?
- Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid & Professional Effects contains Crest’s most advanced whitening technology. They contain high performance polymers to provide high adhesion to your teeth and clean removal.
- How do Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid & Professional Effects work?
- Similar to existing Whitestrips, the Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid and Professional Effects contains thin, flexible strips that are coated with a tooth whitening gel containing peroxide. Designed to conform to the shape of your teeth, they work by keeping the whitening gel in place against your teeth to get at stain build-up on and below the surface of tooth enamel. However, the high performance polymers in Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid and Professional Effects enable an easier application, a stronger grip and cleaner removal.
- How do Crest 3D White Whitestrips work?
- Crest 3D White Whitestrips are thin, flexible strips that are coated with a tooth whitening gel containing peroxide and are designed to conform to the shape of your teeth. They work by keeping the whitening gel on your teeth long enough to get at stain build-up below tooth’s surface to visibly whiten your teeth.
- How do I use 3D White Whitestrips?
- It is best if you do not brush your teeth immediately before applying strips. Open the pouch and remove the strip. Peel the strips from the backing liner and align with gum line. Press gently for good contact. Fold the rest of strip behind teeth to keep in place. Wear strips for required amount of time, then remove and discard.
- Is it okay to use 3D White Whitestrips back to back?
- Yes. With Crest 3D White Whitestrips, you can use one strip right after the other (back-to-back). Wear strips for the time instructed, then remove; rinse or wipe if needed, then apply a second strip.
- Is it okay to use 3D White Whitestrips kits back to back? Or to use an intensive kit and then Stain Shield right after?
- Yes. With Crest 3D White Whitestrips, you can use one strip right after the other (back-to-back). Wear strips for the time instructed, then remove; rinse or wipe if needed, then apply a second strip. To maintain your whiter smile use up to two Crest 3D White Whitestrips teeth whitening systems per year; or try Crest 3D White Whitestrips Stain Shield. These 5-minute once a day strips whiten and help protect your smile against staining. If you feel you need to whiten more frequently, we suggest you speak with your dental professional about professional-strength Crest Whitestrips Supreme.
- What happens if I skip an application?
- You can skip or miss a couple of applications without affecting your whitening benefit.
- Can I switch strips (wear upper strip on bottom teeth and vice versa)?
- No, We do not recommend switching strips. Although the strips would still work if switched, each upper strip is designed specifically to cover the area of your upper teeth while each lower strip is designed specifically to cover the area of your lower teeth. These shapes were designed to keep the strips in place while covering those teeth that show when you smile. Wearing a lower strip on your upper teeth will result in you covering less area on your upper smile teeth.
- What if I have trouble removing Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid or Professional Effects?
- Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid and Professional Effects are uniquely designed to securely hold the whitening gel onto your teeth where it matters most. If it seems like you’re having trouble removing the strip, try peeling the strip off the back of your teeth to loosen the grip then peel the rest of strip off your teeth.
Avoid contact of gel with cloth, leather or fabric. Best if used by date noted on top of package. For questions please visit us at www.3DWhite.com or call 1-800-395-8423
Visit your dentist regularly. Crest 3D White Whitestrips is not a substitute for regular dental care.
- Can I wear the Gentle Routine or Stain Shield Whitestrips for longer than 5 minutes to get better whitening results?
- Limit use to just 5 minutes a day. Longer wear time can result in tooth sensitivity. If you are looking for faster whitening results, please try Crest 3D White Whitestrips Vivid, It is formulated to be worn for 30 minutes daily and provide results in only 10 days.
- Can I reuse a strip?
- No, Using a strip over again will not provide any tooth whitening benefits. Even though there may be gel remaining on the strip when you take it off, most of the hydrogen peroxide has been depleted.
- I dropped a strip in the sink after pulling from the backing. Can I still use it?
- No, It's not recommended. Start over with a new strip.
- Is it okay to use Crest 3D White Whitestrips on my back teeth?
- No, it is not recommended. The strips provided for your upper and lower teeth are designed to fit the front teeth only. Using the strips on the back teeth may result in the strips coming loose and eventually falling off during the wear period.
- What happens if after using Whitestrips, I have white spots on my teeth?
- The white spots are temporary. These spots are not harmful and will go away. The white spots are caused by a loss of water from the tooth enamel. This water loss is not harmful and will go away.
- What if I experience foaming or excessive saliva while using Whitestrips?
- You're experiencing a natural reaction between your saliva and the hydrogen peroxide on our Whitestrips. Saliva increases whenever you place an object of any kind in your mouth. As saliva increases, it also reacts with the peroxide and together they make foam.
- What do I do if the strips keep coming off?
- Look into a mirror to properly apply the strips, making sure the strip is in good contact with the teeth. If the strips begin to slip, close your mouth and create suction to tighten the strips up again. Don't touch the strips excessively with your tongue. You can try gently tucking the strip in the spaces between your teeth with your fingernail, then folding it behind your teeth. You can also try Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid or Professional Effects which have Advanced Seal technology—specially designed to strongly adhere to your teeth.
- How do I remove gel left on my teeth after using strips?
- Since the left over gel isn’t harmful, you can do any of the following:
Rinse your mouth with water
Wipe the gel off your teeth
Brush it off
Leave it, as it will dissolve eventually
- Will my teeth be more susceptible to stains after using Whitestrips?
- No. Whitestrips will not cause your teeth to stain faster.
- Can I eat while wearing Whitestrips?
- Eating while wearing a strip is not recommended. Doing so will affect whitening results.
- Can I drink water while wearing Whitestrips?
- It is okay to drink water while wearing the high adhesion Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advance Vivid and Professional Effects. Drinking while wearing our other strips is not recommended. Doing so will affect results.
- Can I wear Whitestrips overnight while I sleep?
- No, do not wear Whitestrips overnight or while sleeping.
- Can I brush my teeth immediately before using Whitestrips?
- Do NOT brush immediately BEFORE applying strips. To avoid gum irritation, allow for some time to pass after you have brushed your teeth to apply strips.
- Can I brush my teeth immediately after using Whitestrips?
- Yes, after using Whitestrips, you can brush gently.
- Can I use Whitestrips after a professional cleaning from a dentist or hygienist?
- You may want to wait a few days after a cleaning if your mouth is sensitive before using Crest 3D White Whitestrips, otherwise, you may have more discomfort. We recommend you discuss this with your dentist.
- Can I use whitening toothpaste while using Whitestrips?
- Yes. We recommend using Crest 3D White Vivid Toothpaste while you're whitening your teeth to help maintain your white smile.
- Can I use mouthwash after using Whitestrips?
- It's OK to rinse with an over the counter mouthwash after using Crest 3D White Whitestrips. We recommend using Crest 3D White Multi-Care Whitening Rinse to help maintain your whiter teeth.
- My Crest 3D White Whitestrips is expired. Can I still use it?
- Although Crest 3D White Whitestrips that have passed expiration date are still safe, we don’t recommend using them past their expiration date, as the whitening ingredient’s efficacy will be weakened.
- What if I don’t see results after using the Whitestrips?
- Ensure that you follow recommended usage instructions on the packaging to get the optimal effect. If your teeth are significantly discolored, you may need to use 2 boxes of Crest 3D White Whitestrips initially to get the desired result. We also recommend using Crest 3D White Vivid toothpaste to gently polish away surface stains daily. You can also try Crest 3D White Whitestrips Stain Shield, which have been specially formulated to be used every day. However, if you are unsatisfied with your results, Crest 3D White Whitestrips will refund your purchase. Simply return your receipt and package UPC within 60 days of purchase. Call 1-800-208-0169 for more information.
- Can I floss my teeth while wearing Whitestrips?
- No, the strips conform to the surfaces of your teeth, so flossing would pull the strip out of place.
- Can I smoke while using Whitestrips?
- No, do not smoke while wearing a strip. Doing so could cause the strips to dislodge from the teeth, thus affecting the whitening results.
- Will Whitestrips remove smoking stains?
- Yes, however, smoking stains can be difficult to remove and may take a little longer. If you continue to smoke after whitening, your teeth may discolor faster. We recommend that you use Crest 3D White Whitestrips Stain Shield daily to help remove surface stains caused by tobacco.
- Can I use Whitestrips while I am outside in the sun?
- Yes, however do not store the strips in the sun or heat.
- Can I use Whitestrips to bleach facial hair, age spots, fingernails, etc.?
- Crest 3D White Whitestrips are only intended to whiten natural teeth.
- Can Whitestrips be used by children?
- We have not conducted research with children under 12. No Crest 3D White Whitestrips product is intended for use in children under the age of 12. NOTE: Crest Whitestrips Supreme (which is available only from dental professionals) should NOT be used in persons under age 18).
- Can I cut the Whitestrips into smaller pieces to fit them into different spots in my mouth?
- No. If cut into smaller pieces, the strips could dislodge from the teeth and have the potential to become aspirated or swallowed.
- Can I add additional peroxide to the strip before applying it to my teeth?
- No, this is not recommended. No data is available on the safety of effectiveness of adding additional peroxide to Crest 3D White Whitestrips. Adding anything to the strip will affect its ability to stick to the tooth surface, thus affecting whitening results.
- Do you have a teeth whitening chart so I can see my progress?
- We don't offer a tooth color comparison chart. However, after a few days, many people who use Crest 3D White Whitestrips can already see a brighter difference in their smile. Friends or family may also begin to comment on the change! You can also see the result by looking at your back teeth.
- What should I do if I have skin irritation from getting gel on my skin?
- Prolonged contact with your skin may cause small, white spots on your skin. These white spots are not harmful and will disappear. Be sure to rinse off any gel that gets on your skin.
- Are Whitestrips safe on tooth enamel?
- Yes. Crest 3D White Whitestrips contains hydrogen peroxide, the same enamel-safe ingredient dentists use for tooth whitening. Extensive testing has shown the product to be safe when used as directed.
- Can I use more than 2 sets of Whitestrips a day?
- Extensive clinical and consumer testing was done to establish the safety and efficacy of Crest 3D White Whitestrips. However, based on the results of that work we do not recommend using more than 2 upper strips and 2 lower strips in a day.
- What are the ingredients in Crest 3D White Whitestrips?
Water Prevents carbomer from dehydrating the teeth. Glycerin Humectant, acts to thicken gel, helps make gel sticky so it will adhere to teeth. Hydrogen Peroxide Whitening Ingredient Carbomer Gel agent, gives adhesion properties to gel Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) Adhesive polymer PEG Humectant, acts to thicken gel, helps make gel sticky so it will adhere to teeth. Acrylates Copolymer Thickening polymer. Helps keep the strip in one piece during use. Sodium Hydroxide* Adjusts pH to neutral Sodium Saccharin* Better taste Pyrophosphate* Protects against tartar in Crest 3D White Whitestrips Stain Shield only * These ingredients are the source of sodium content - See Nutrition Facts twistie for total sodium content. INGREDIENTS - Strip & Backing Textured Whitening Strip Polyethylene Backing Polypropylene
- What happens if I swallowed a strip?
- It will simply pass through your system without causing any damage.
- What happens if I swallow some of the gel from the strip?
- No adverse effects will result from ingesting the peroxide gel. However, swallowing large amounts of peroxide can cause nausea and stomach irritation.
- Is using a toothpaste that contains peroxide while using Whitestrips harmful?
- The combined amount of peroxide from the toothpaste and Crest 3D White Whitestrips (professional or retail) isn't harmful.
- Does the hydrogen peroxide in Whitestrips cause cancer?
- There is no evidence that hydrogen peroxide causes cancer in humans.
The FDA and Health Canada and scientific experts at the World Health Organization have reviewed the data on hydrogen peroxide and neither has ever concluded that hydrogen peroxide is carcinogenic.
Hydrogen peroxide is a safe and trusted ingredient that has been used for years in first aid products, mouthwashes and facial cleansers.
- The package says to store Whitestrips in a cool place. Will the steam and heat in my bathroom cause a problem?
- The steam and heat generated in a bathroom should not affect the product.
- Can I store Whitestrips in my refrigerator or freezer?
- Storing Crest 3D White Whitestrips in a refrigerator is fine, however, storing product in a freezer is not recommended.
- What should I do if my Whitestrips become frozen? Will they still work?
- Allow Crest 3D White Whitestrips to come to room temperature before using it. It should still work.
- What should I do if Whitestrips irritate my gums or cause my teeth to be sensitive?
- As with any teeth whitening system that contains peroxide, teeth/gum sensitivity may temporarily develop when using Crest 3D White Whitestrips. Some people may experience tooth sensitivity or gum discomfort when using this or other whitening products. If significant tooth sensitivity or gum discomfort develops, try using the strips every other day. If the problem persists, discontinue use.
Using a teeth whitening system on teeth that are already sensitive may increase the level of discomfort that you normally experience. If you have sensitivity concerns, we recommend you try Crest 3D White Whitestrips Gentle Routine for teeth sensitive to whitening.
Other factors that may contribute to discomfort are 1) brushing too hard and or more than twice a day, 2) using a hard to medium bristled toothbrush after whitening your teeth.
We recommend using a soft-bristled toothbrush such as Oral-B Sensitive Advantage to gently brush your teeth. Brushing with a mild toothpaste like Crest Sensitivity while you are whitening your teeth may help with some of the irritation.
- Is it okay to use the whitening product with prescription drugs?
- If you have a question about whether to use this product based on medication you are using, check with your health professional, dental professional, physician or pharmacist.
- Can I use Whitestrips if I have a cavity?
- If you have an unfilled cavity, we do not recommend using Crest 3D White Whitestrips. Check with your dental professional before using a whitening product if you are in need of dental work.
- Can I use Whitestrips if I have braces?
- Crest 3D White Whitestrips should not be applied to teeth with braces because Crest 3D White Whitestrips will whiten only the portion of the teeth with which the whitening gel comes in contact.
Because braces cover some areas of the tooth surface only parts of the tooth will whiten, leaving unevenly colored teeth when the braces are removed. In addition, metal in the braces could oxidize and change color.
- Can I use Whitestrips if I have periodontal disease?
- Do not use Crest 3D White Whitestrips if you have periodontal disease. Talk to your dental professional about treating your periodontal disease first, before you ever consider whitening.
- Can I use Whitestrips if I am pregnant or nursing?
- While there is no evidence that Crest 3D White Whitestrips is harmful when used by women who are pregnant or nursing, we recommend you check with your doctor before using Crest 3D White Whitestrips.
- Will Whitestrips remove fluorosis stains?
- No data is available on the effect of Crest 3D White Whitestrips on people with fluorosis stains. If you have this condition, consult your dental professional before using Crest 3D White Whitestrips.
- Will Whitestrips remove tetracycline stains?
- Most teeth with these types of stains will not whiten as well as teeth with yellow stains. This is because most dark or blue-gray stains are caused by certain types of medication taken during tooth development. These types of stains are deep within the tooth as well as at the enamel surface. We recommend you discuss this with your dentist.
- Can I use Whitestrips if I have crowns, caps, fillings, veneers, partials, gold, laminates, composite bonding, or other restorations?
- Crest 3D White Whitestrips will not harm or whiten these types of dental work. Crest 3D White Whitestrips will whiten only natural teeth so if you have any of these on your front teeth, there may be noticeable color differences between the dental work and your whiter teeth. Crest 3D White Whitestrips is designed to whiten only the teeth that show when you smile. So, if you have these types of dental work on your back teeth, color differences may not be noticeable.
- What are veneers?
- Veneers, alternatively termed dental veneers or dental porcelain laminates, are wafer-thin shells of porcelain that are bonded onto the front side of teeth so to create a cosmetic improvement for a tooth. Porcelain veneers are routinely used by dentists as a way to make cosmetic changes for teeth that are discolored, worn, chipped, or misaligned.
- What are crowns?
- The strengthening capability of dental crowns is related to the fact that they cup over and encase the tooth on which they are placed. This means that a crown can act as a splint that binds a tooth together. This is a very important feature of dental crowns and one that makes them a very valuable type of restoration for a dentist to have available to them.
- What is tooth bonding?
- Generally speaking the term "tooth bonding" refers to a range of dental procedures each of which is similar in the sense that it employs the use of a type of dental restorative dentists call "dental composite."
As a material dental composite has a number of characteristics that a dentist can exploit when it is put to use. One of them is the way it creates a strong bond with calcified tooth tissues (meaning tooth dentin and enamel). Another is its color. Dental composite comes in a variety of tooth-colored shades so when it is placed it can closely mimic the appearance of natural tooth structure.
- Can I use Whitestrips if I wear a retainer?
- We recommend you check with your orthodontist prior to using Crest 3D White Whitestrips if you have a retainer.
- What is a retainer?
- A retainer is a piece of plastic and metal that is custom-made for each individual who needs one. It fits the top of the teeth and mouth. No two retainers are alike, even though many look similar. Retainers are really common. In fact, most people (kids and adults) who have braces have to wear a retainer for at least a little while after getting their braces taken off. Other people wear them to close gaps in their teeth, to help with speech problems, or to solve certain medical problems.
- Can I use Whitestrips if I have had a root canal?
- Since the location and extent of such dental work varies greatly between individuals, we recommend you consult with your dentist before using Crest 3D White Whitestrips.
Get professional-level whitening results at home with our best Whitestrips yet.
Whiten by removing up to 90% of surface stains in 14 days with our best whitening toothpaste.
Compare Whitestrips teeth whitening systems, toothpastes and rinses to see which ones best meet your needs.